Who dictates the seed variety you plant?
-Buyers have had a big say on this (HOW) –By rejecting some fruits due to the market requiremets on the varietal aspects: SO , which is the BEST SEED to plant? And WHY?
When selecting a seed ,research for the following aspects
The size of the seeds in the fruits after maturity
- Some fruits have LARGE AND BLACK SEEDS,If the seeds are big,buyers tend to shun these fruits as these reduce the aesthetic value of the fruit once sliced into pieces,on the other hand,those supplying to a different market niche who have been advised to chew the seeds will g for it without hesitating or blinking an eye.
- Some fruits have MANY,SMALL AND GOLDEN/BROWN seeds; These are the mostly favoured varieties in the market
- Other fruits/varietis have very FEW seeds but GOLDEN/BROWN ; these are the highly favoures in the market
Time taken to mature
- The time taken to mature may also differ between different varieties from different sources i.e; a zebra variety from company X will take Y days to mature whereas a zebra variety from company M will take N days to mature
Fruit size uniformity
- -The maturity days is also dicatadedby the wheather parterns and altitude
- There is no point of having 100 fruitswith a funny weight/size distribution ie;10 fruits are >10kgs ,40 fruits are 6-8kgs and 50 fruits are less than 3kgs ,this implies that you have 50% rejects(by brokers/buyers standards) although the fruit number is good.Choose a seed type where 70-80% of te fruit size/weight lie in the 6-8kgs(or rather above 4kgs) as this is the best (we await a launch of Table melon type of the zebra seed in the future)
- Always seek unbiased advise on the type of seed to plant noting that in agribusiness,aim to have a higher average weight other than a skewed weight distribution.
- Select a seed type whose fruit will last long after attaining horticultural maturity and even fter ripening. Some seed types will have the fruits start rotting at physiological maturity.after harvesting,some fruits will keep for long whereas others cant
- Some seeds if planted at the recomended spacing will crowd and innitiate the challenge of diseases such as botrytis thus the rottig of fruits,this is also proportional to the the first fruit positioning as some will tend to appear late in the vine from the point of germination than others,For the long vined seeds,always give a bigger inter row spacing than for the short vined seeds.ASSIGHNMENTThen:
- To the farmers and agronomist ,help us identify the seeds
-log in for the next feature discusion on this as we fill the following table with you
|SEED TYPE||AREA PLANTED||ACREAGE||FRUIT SIZE DISTRIBUTION||SEED SIZE||SEED COLOR||KEEPING QUALITY||DAYS TO HARVEST||TOTAL TONNAGE|
|1||TRIAL F1||KINANIE||1||>10kgs:20% 4-9kgs :70% <4gs :10%||big||black||good||60-75||15T|
NB:This is NOT a public ENDORSEMENT OF ANY SEED TYPE but a mission to get the farmer practical response for future advise and trials on the same,ALWAYS CONSULT an good agronomist for the right information on this
SHARE THIS ON